Monday, November 9, 2009

3 D cameras

My experience with the 3D camera workshop was actually quite a surprise. For some reason I thought it would have been structured like the bolox Saturday shoot, where each group would get a few hours to plan and shoot their ideas. Granted I sat in the class room with the people I would be working with making masks, and we could have very well planned out the action we were about to film while we were sitting there, but alas that did not come to be. Its kind of neat to work under such pressure, we came up with an idea and blocked it in about a span of 15 minutes. It reminded me of the improve games I used to play in theatre when I was in high school. I didn’t get to see how to set up the camera’s properly, but I imagine it was not that complicated, just setting both to the same exact settings, like the same white balance, fstop and so on. The only thing I’m still slightly confused about is how to figure out the exact space between the camera’s. I know they’re supposed to be in the same position as the human eyes, but scaled up because the lenses are larger than eyeballs. So I guess with a little algebra one could figure out the space between the two. I combined the left and right tapes in after effects, and although I remember learning how to do this, I’m not sure I can do it again with out instructions. I love learning stuff in after effects, its like this mystery program with so many possibilities and each time I get to do something new I feel like I’ve won some small battle with the imac, lol. It was cool to learn an actual practical use of the slate, I’ve only previously used it to match up sound, poorly at that. What I learned from this, as with anything that involves computers, technology, and the UNCW editing lab, one must plan to work longer than expected. I didn’t mind that much, I feel like I might be able to have fun in a career that involves after effects, as long as that’s not all that I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment